In my interview with The Pickup Podcast guys, they asked for a fashion tip, and I mentioned shoes. I got a comment on my last post asking for more info. So here it is. I can go on and on about why shoes are important, but I just want to get to the nitty gritty right away.
So what shoes do I buy? I like Kenneth Coles. I own 3 pairs. 2 are basic dress shoes in black and brown. Another is a more stylish brown loafer. Kenneth Cole makes quality shoes that are comfortable and stylish. They are a good staple.
I have a couple other pairs of nicer shoes that are cool or funky in some way.
For more casual shoes, I like Pumas. I have a few pairs of things that are more stylish, like a pair of Diesels and a pair of HipOppotamus (similar to Diesel).
Remember to take care of your shoes. Keep them polished, and make them last.
A few rules I follow when picking out shoes:
1) Brown shoes are always more stylish than black shoes.
2) Don’t skimp on shoes. $175 isn’t too much to spend for a high quality shoe that is comfortable and stylish. Plus, you’ll feel great walking around in a great pair of shoes.
3) Get a selection. Don’t buy three pairs of black shoes. Get one pair of black, a pair of brown, and a pair of a lighter color (cream, tan, etc). This is much more versatile.
4) Make sure they are comfortable. If a shoe isn’t immediately comfortable when you put your foot in, don’t buy it. I don’t care if they are the perfect shoes that were sent down on a cloud from heaven. I’ve learned this lesson the hard (and painful) way. Also, if two shoes seem really similar, but one is a bit more expensive but more comfortable, spend the extra for the comfortable ones. Your feet will thank you.
…and, since summer is coming,
5) Don’t ever buy sandals. Flip-flop sandals are OK, but those Teva style sandals have to go.
If you really want to get your style in gear, check out PickUp 101’s guide to style, Dress to Impress. It is a 3 DVD set that goes into detail about fashion and style and how to make it work for you. The DVD set goes into detail about how to use style to help give a great impression to women. It also includes real world fashion make overs of men that attended the filming of the set. Click here to check it out now.